1993-08-05 - Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

Header Data

From: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall)
To: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Message Hash: 19a53906f026ab8dd1067c6b2ffc0c4e1541599703fef6a83bd611881d5f33f2
Message ID: <9308050359.AA23838@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
Reply To: <LF7k8B3w165w@sytex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-05 03:58:23 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 20:58:23 PDT

Raw message

From: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 20:58:23 PDT
To: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Subject: Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

>I have been experimenting the past few days with anon remailer to USENET
>gateway systems to see what the results would be -- nada. I used Chael's
>BSU system (nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu) to attempt a usenet post which never
>(magically?) appeared in the desired group (alt.privacy, I believe). I
>waited for several days for the post, but nada, zilch, zero. I retried
>the bsu remailer with a test message to make sure it was still active,
>and yes, it seemed to work perfectly. My guess is that the usenet gateway
>at utexas refuses anon e-mail. Anyone got any other suggestions? I
>haven't tried any other gateways -- yet.
>
>Cheers.
>
>Paul Ferguson               |  "Government, even in its best state,

Paul,

     I have seen several bounces from the utexas server because there
was no Subject for the posting, you need to put a subject line in the
pasted header like so:

::
Request-Remailing-To: alt-test@utexas.whatever...
Subject: this is a test

[body]

     Good luck, but that's what the error message said, there's nothing
about anonymity in the bounce, though.

Chael

--
Chael Hall