1993-08-26 - Re: Source Code NOT available for ViaCrypt PGP

Header Data

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Message Hash: 1bf0c4081851e4a97b9b18e86fad134c12c72399aaad1bfafc6bd16e68c87790
Message ID: <9308262239.AA26848@matt.ksu.ksu.edu>
Reply To: <93Aug26.015906pdt.14440-4@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-26 22:42:35 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 15:42:35 PDT

Raw message

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 15:42:35 PDT
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Subject: Re: Source Code NOT available for ViaCrypt PGP

George A. Gleason Said:

> What about the idea of having someone who is known trustworthy examine the
> source code under nondisclosure?  A passing grade from a couple of the
> respected members of the community here would be great for ViaCrypt's
> promotional efforts, if nothing else...!

That is not a bad idea, and I would trust certain people to tell the
truth about ViaCrypt PGP's security....  the problem is convincing
ViaCrypt to let someone that Cypherpunks consider trustworthy to look
at it.  I mean, I wouldn't listen to Sternlight or Denning, but I
might listen to May or Gilmore.  But would ViaCrypt allow May or
Gilmore to see their source?

--
Dan Odom
danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu -- Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS