1993-08-28 - Re: Physical security lapses will getcha every time.

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
To: “Mark C. Henderson” <markh@wimsey.bc.ca>
Message Hash: 31addad3e06df763efe8d3317d6647365ba46abb003dff77e0a238b0f72b998b
Message ID: <9308281339.aa06956@penet.penet.FI>
Reply To: <m0oWI3U-0000poC@vanbc.wimsey.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-28 10:43:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 03:43:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 03:43:03 PDT
To: "Mark C. Henderson" <markh@wimsey.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Physical security lapses will getcha every time.

> Of course, this doesn't make the UNIX versions of PGP useless. There
> is absolutely no reason why you can't run your own personal Unix
> box. Really all you need is a 386 machine with Linux or 386BSD.

Yeah. Or even run BSDI on your 386SX notebook. That's what I'm doing.
I don't want to use DOS, with all it's cruft. Much prefer a system I have full
source code to...

> The nice thing about the UNIX/Linux setup, is that you can still use
> all the UNIX tools to send/receive encrypted mail (your favourite
> mail user agent+pgp/ripem+UUCP+sendmail/smail) in a convenient way
> without messing with MSDOS.

Yeah. And... Well... I don't want to get into any religious battles, but I
still prefer BSDI (the support is great and the networking code is much more
stable) over Linux - and yes, I do know Linux was develped out here in
Finland...

	Julf

Thread