1993-08-13 - Re: ATM AND IMAGE RECONGI

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 48dc51327a67256e23ec69b5c5d3e25644595fe7fbbdf6ff4acb33a0c2b29da1
Message ID: <199308131603.AA27045@panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 09:08:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 09:08:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ATM AND IMAGE RECONGI

To: cypherpunks@toad.com

T >OK, you got me here. I wasn't thinking of cases where you might want
T >to deceive your own bank!

T >Tim May

One tends to forget that an ATM card is a bearer instrument.  Ive always
thought it ironic that the first manifestation of the Orwellian technology
of electronic payments that was supposed to strip us of our liberties was
a *bearer* instrument.

There are many circumstances where you might want to have someone other
than the account holder use ATM or other Credit or Debit cards.  Spouses,
children, and employees might be given the card.  If you want to make
cheap instant overseas transfers you might give a trusted person an ATM
card.  If you want to make regular anonymous payments to someone you might
open an account for that purpose, give them the card, and then just
deposit whatever you want to transmit to them.  If you've opened an
account in a nome de guerre, it might be convenient not to have your image
recorded.  There are many more circumstances.

For me the more significant concern is not getting my picture taken but
the possibility that card use might be limited to the account holder only.
 I like the bearer instrument aspect of ATMs.  Of course, as long as some
banks on the net don't use pictures or other personal measurments as a
replacement for pins, one can always use these institutions.

Duncan Frissell

As for the PC parts of Tim's post:

How to handle fanatic evironmentalists/animal rightists/commies:  "What's
the matter; don't you believe in cultural diversity?  Look, these days *I*
have to put up with <anal-intercoursing> <oral-genital copulators> whether
I like them or not.  <Use Old English words instead of the Norman French
above.>  If *I* have to put up with <anal-intercoursing> <oral-genital
copulators> whether I want to or not, then you have to put up with
perverts like me."

--- WinQwk 2.0b#0

Thread