1993-08-11 - Re: birth of Software Patent Institute

Header Data

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
To: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Message Hash: 71a673a281d9c41b899323454a11300b386b529571a9eee077f0a2f1c7e749b3
Message ID: <9308111505.AA02818@kolanut>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 08:06:58 PDT

Raw message

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 08:06:58 PDT
To: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: birth of Software Patent Institute

> > the first question to ask would be whether they're in
> touch with LPF at all.
>

> the next question would be whether lpf is willing to work
> with them. rms has never been known to put progress ahead
> of politics.

First, rms isn't the LPF.  He's practically the FSF, and supports the
LPF, but the two organizations aren't synonymous.

Second, I believe the LPF has made an official statement that they
will _not_ work with SPI.  SPI is primarily funded by large holders
of software patents, and LPF believes that this database will give
patent holders an advantage in defending their patents in court (i.e.
against suits by LPF to invalidate the patents).  I'm not even a
member of the LPF; you should write to them for their actual
arguments.

Third, I'm not sure this is appropriate to the list, unless someone
expects to find "folklore" about public key cryptography that
predates RSA, etc.

Joe

Thread