1993-08-23 - Re: Digicash

Header Data

From: szabo@netcom.com (Nick Szabo)
To: plmoses@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paul L. Moses)
Message Hash: 879dbb40336718939149c0ff4554b81fc63d28bcc0407c6c6ccc56ea4b419e23
Message ID: <9308230604.AA26451@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9308230349.AA16925@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-23 06:05:17 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 23:05:17 PDT

Raw message

From: szabo@netcom.com (Nick Szabo)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 23:05:17 PDT
To: plmoses@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paul L. Moses)
Subject: Re: Digicash

Paul Moses:
>	3)  The [ATM] card then becomes a bearer instrument of sorts.
>       No big deal; IT'S JUST LIKE MONEY.

It is a big deal.  Many people like carrying ID-based
cards (ATM w/PIN, credit cards, etc.) so they aren't easy targets for
violent thieves.  Although this reaches equlilibrium -- as long as most
people use credit cards instead of cash, a few of us can still carry
around cash as long as we don't wave it around too much.  Targets of
opportunity these days include late-night ATM customers.

Query: what will be the last businesses to install ATM terminals?
A couple that come to mind right away:

* rural businesses (poor net access)
* pawn shops (desire for privacy -- though I continue to be
amazed how many people create dossiers on themselves by
calling 1-900 phone sex numbers, renting X-rated vids with
credit card, etc.)

Nick Szabo				szabo@netcom.com

Thread