1993-08-02 - Re: Public Key Servers

Header Data

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
To: eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com
Message Hash: 8f1d8f34d5f4a8593113ef9aa799d0e64c65c77b28875bdc1af1a8346a8fd0f7
Message ID: <9308021340.AA13894@disvnm2.shearson.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 06:47:34 PDT

Raw message

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 06:47:34 PDT
To: eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com
Subject: Re: Public Key Servers

> >	   Are the key servers listed in the PGP documentation still active?
> >   And if so, what is the general opinion of using them?
>
> Key server == list of people to bust and who knows who.
>   (compute the transitive closure of the signatures)

Yeah, but there are >1501 keys on it (last time I checked, which
was about three weeks ago).  And the size seems to be growing pretty
fast.  Remember the "mandatory" draft registration imposed by Carter
in 1980?  I think about two kids were ever busted for not registering,
and they were VERY active and vocal.  The whole draft registration
program was basically ignored, and what was the government going to,
arrest every American male born after 1962?  I think it's important
to get as many keys on the servers as possible, for the same reasons
that encryption itself should be used as widely as possible.

   --Dave.

Thread