1993-08-21 - Re: mail header parser?

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Message Hash: 9a9a169492cdca69d18a6c900ed4fab7f6a886672459af011dbe40239c95f7ea
Message ID: <m0oU0yD-00022PC@khijol>
Reply To: <CC4M0z.MC5@twwells.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-21 19:12:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Aug 93 12:12:43 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 93 12:12:43 PDT
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Subject: Re: mail header parser?

> I'm in the process of updating my anonymous server. Up till now, I've relied
> on a really brain-dead parsing of the mail headers. This is good enough
> essentially all of the time; it may even be good enough all of the time (on
> the theory that those addresses it rejects violate de facto standards even if
> they don't violate de jure ones).
>
> Nonetheless, if there is a simple *and* correct mail header parser (Internet
> and uucp-style), I'd appreciate a pointer to it.
>
> Ya know, I *hate* testing sometimes. Eventually I want to release this thing
> but I want a test suite to go with it -- and I think the damned suite will be
> bigger than the server!

Uh, I hate to say this, but why not use the one in sendmail or smail?  Of
course, you *could* write your own parser... ;)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001@khijol.uucp

Thread