1993-08-04 - Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

Header Data

From: edgar@spectrx.Saigon.COM (Edgar W. Swank)
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 9ef2bbad4f6c440efd65d93770cb35bf2c08ac44105d553957648e0f644e7091
Message ID: <PayR8B5w165w@spectrx.saigon.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 14:15:08 PDT

Raw message

From: edgar@spectrx.Saigon.COM (Edgar W. Swank)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 14:15:08 PDT
To: Cypherpunks          <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

Paul Ferguson wrote:

    I have been experimenting the past few days with anon remailer to
    USENET gateway systems to see what the results would be -- nada.
    ...  My guess is that the usenet gateway at utexas refuses anon
    e-mail.  Anyone got any other suggestions?  I haven't tried any
    other gateways -- yet.

I had a similar experience with utexas.  It worked the first time I
tried it, but failed on a subsequent attempt.  I suspect that after
some complaint utexas was modified to reject anonymous input. Here is
my list of E-mail/Usenet gateways:

   group-name@ucbvax.berkeley.edu *  (blocked from non-bky sites)
   group-name@cs.utexas.edu       *  (was working but now blocked???)
   group-name@pws.bull.com        *  (Bounced to remailer)
   group-name@demon.co.uk
   group.name.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
   group.name@news.cs.indiana.edu

Note that some of these require trans-literation of periods to dashes
in the newsgroup name; others do not.  Ucbvax is supposed to block
mail from non-Berkely sites; it might work from these Cypherpunks
remailers (I haven't tried it):

   1: hh@pmantis.berkeley.edu
   2: hh@cicada.berkeley.edu
   3: hh@soda.berkeley.edu

Utexas see above, bull bounced to the (wimsey) remailer;  I haven't
tried the others yet. But I'm afraid that the utexas story will be
repeated for any gateway that continues to allow anonymous posting to
newsgroups.

I see the obvious solution is for the Cypherpunks remailers to support
direct anonymous posting.  Certainly the programming should be
trivial. The "political" risk is something to consider, however. But
we are supposed to be the fearless leaders to crypto-anarchy.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

--
edgar@spectrx.saigon.com (Edgar W. Swank)
SPECTROX SYSTEMS +1.408.252.1005  Cupertino, Ca

Thread