1993-08-23 - Re: Cracking & auditing crypto protocols

Header Data

From: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
To: karn@qualcomm.com
Message Hash: a847076d1656b5b0824bec93e87c2002b4bb117ef09e39da9ea75741284639d7
Message ID: <199308230106.AA11314@access.digex.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 18:06:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 18:06:21 PDT
To: karn@qualcomm.com
Subject: Re:  Cracking & auditing crypto protocols

I'm not sure whether it is fair to call Walter Tuchman
a Real Cryptanalyst, but there are many reasons to suspect
that he is a talented one. When he headed the IBM team
developing DES, it is said (by Coppersmith) that they
developed many attacks like what we now know as
Differential Cryptanalysis. These contributed to their
design of DES and I think it would be fair to say that
the same principles could be used to assess the strength
of the Clipper chip. A Mykotronix employee told me that
it "Contains s-boxes and all that stuff."

I don't know whether he was the one responsible for these insights
back then, but he certainly was in the right place to learn
alot by osmosis.

-Peter

Thread