1993-08-26 - Re: “more money than brai

Header Data

From: M..Stirner@f28.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (M. Stirner)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b09b8af54c33198be0efe399cf3ff23903acbf7d50684fe156c655c8791885f6
Message ID: <2112.2C7C984F@shelter.FIDONET.ORG>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 04:32:55 PDT

Raw message

From: M..Stirner@f28.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (M. Stirner)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 04:32:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "more money than brai

 Uu> From: bei@dogface.austin.tx.us (Bob Izenberg)

 # Only one question:  WHY?  If PGP is freeware for noncommercial
 single # users, why on earth would anyone wish to drop $100 +/- for
 single-user # rights to a virtually identical program?

 Uu> Dumb as it may sound, at work the people from Finance want to see that
 Uu> we've paid for all the software on our machines.

Yes, I've received several replies like yours, but note that company use
was not the question - I understand the "why" there, complete with all
the corporate shareware/freeware phobia - but the question was why a
_private single user_ would pay $100 for the honor of a licensed private
single-user release of a freeware program.  THAT doesn't make sense,
thus my question.
.   Conceivably, someone with assets (certainly not me, but I suppose
such people exist somewhere) might be worried about the sound & fury
emanating from PKP concerning lawsuits against all freeware PGP users,
but $100 is mighty high insurance against an event with that low of a
probability.

* <m..stirner@f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org> - PGP Key D30909 via servers *
* > What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not  <*
* > warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit <*
* > of resistance?  Let them take arms!" - Thomas Jefferson, 1787  <*

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
--
M. Stirner - via FidoNet node 1:125/1
UUCP: ...!uunet!kumr!shelter!28!M..Stirner

Thread