1993-08-13 - Re: [uk.transport] Speed Camera with OCR

Header Data

From: A1 ray arachelian (library) <rarachel@ishara.poly.edu>
To: jonb@isltd.insignia.com (jon barber)
Message Hash: c24bb05f568aa387a796c170b16edad360aa76fd7a08d0317c3f19f024c1ff8c
Message ID: <9308131054.AA28483@ishara.poly.edu>
Reply To: <3877.9308130728@panacea.insignia.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-13 14:58:26 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 07:58:26 PDT

Raw message

From: A1 ray arachelian (library)  <rarachel@ishara.poly.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 07:58:26 PDT
To: jonb@isltd.insignia.com (jon barber)
Subject: Re: [uk.transport] Speed Camera with OCR

> The Oxfordshire police force here in the UK have introduced speed
> cameras.  The way they work is to use radar to check oncoming cars
> speeds, and if its over the limit the camera takes a picture of the
> cars number plate.  I guess a human back at police HQ has to do the
> bit about reading the plate, and then a fixed fine is sent through

There's a cure for this.  Get neon license plate lights instead.  This
will work at night at least.  Have you ever seen a car with them pass
you by?  It makes the license plate illuminated, but almost impossible
to see!  (Although, they might resort to IR cameras to take your
picture as well!)

Thread