1993-08-20 - Re: cypher breaking and genetic algorithms

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@colossus.apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Message Hash: c5aee77e49b0ef2ee6517ea7d433cff8f22e79472e23fa8aa9b6f30a0d4626f0
Message ID: <m0oTcyq-00022HC@khijol>
Reply To: <CC22rC.q6@twwells.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-20 21:36:40 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 14:36:40 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@colossus.apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 14:36:40 PDT
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Subject: Re: cypher breaking and genetic algorithms

> Well, since I'm here, I thought I'd satisfy a curiosity of mine.
> Has anyone done any research, formal or informal, on the use of
> genetic algorithms to break cyphers? If not, would anyone care to
> discuss how it might be done?

As I recall, GAs are rather inappropriate for crypto applications, as they
tend to give rather inexact answers.  In a message where one wrong bit
could mean the difference between "en clair" and garbage, they are useless.
But for simple substitution ciphers, they can enable one to get "best guess"
clear - enough to make the message readable.  Hopefully. :)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001@khijol.uucp

Thread