1993-08-14 - Re: Solicitation of Tax Evasion–An Example

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: e1923bed3a18e007ed8ea9c9bbba3ea52e0c0e0161e695ff2bb04ddae4598011
Message ID: <m0oRHEZ-00024eC@khijol>
Reply To: <9308140811.AA16134@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-14 08:53:09 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Aug 93 01:53:09 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 93 01:53:09 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Solicitation of Tax Evasion--An Example

> > The problem is, unless you're very careful about distributions and such,
> > you can easily clog the net with zillions of public-key-encryptions to
> > alt.security.pgp.messages <grin>.  But then again, I suppose it's not
> > any more traffic than alt.sex.pictures.erotica.* generates. :)
> >
> > It would be trivial to write a script to be put in your .login to
> > automatically skim that newsgroup for anything encrypted with your public
> > key.  Hmmm...
>
> Yes, Ed is right. Easy to spot messages intended for you. And the
> volumes involved in this "crypto classfieds" are not unreasonable.
>
> 4. How does the target of a message know where to look? Must he scan
> through all messages?

PGP will fail if signed with a key that it doesn't know about - that makes
it easy... So, one doesn't need to decrypt all the messages (or try to),
nor does one have to agree on a subject header or anything else.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-2133@twwells.com

Thread