1993-08-11 - Re: Secure voice software issues

Header Data

From: fnerd@smds.com (FutureNerd Steve Witham)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: edef4d5e806791e2389cbbc1614f2645f87e45f316ccfce924cd1db47267a22b
Message ID: <9308112238.AA05820@smds.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 15:47:27 PDT

Raw message

From: fnerd@smds.com (FutureNerd Steve Witham)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 15:47:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Secure voice software issues

karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn) sez-

> ...Finding a path through the PGP "web of
> trust" back to a trusted public key that the other party already has
> may be tricky. This is one thing that is much easier with a simple
> tree a la PEM, as you simply give the path back up to a common, shared
> root.
>
> I'm not sure how to do this with PGP. ...

Maybe this is a good service for a key server to perform.

Are there cases where you would want to endorse a key *privately*?
I.e., tell certain people only that you've met someone?

> If you first do Diffie Hellman and then immediately use the session
> key it generates to conventionally encrypt the rest of the protocol,
> including any RSA public key exchanges, this has the added benefit of
> denying passive eavesdroppers any information that would identify the
> parties to the call. The best an *active* eavesdropper (conducting a
> man-in-the-middle attack against Diffie Hellman) could do is to trick
> the parties into revealing their RSA public keys, and thus their
> identities.  But the parties would quickly discover this at the
> signature step, before the voice conversation actually starts.

What if you prepare RSA key pairs in advance in your computer's
(phone's) spare time, then use one per conversation (at least for the
initializing)?  You would encode your public key with the session
private key, and a conventional key with your private key, in advance.
That would save time at the start of the conversation (although, to
decode his keys would take two regular RSA steps.)

Am I wrong, or is Diffie-Helman only useful when you *don't* have
a way of verifying who each other are?

-fnerd@smds.com
quote me

Thread