1993-08-19 - Re: T. Wells & Anonymity

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: julf@penet.FI (Johan Helsingius)
Message Hash: ee848d2c90d62c2a5ebd0c307fb048be22b789fbbc79e7e3f769a6ff10c9bf1a
Message ID: <m0oTG7R-00021zC@khijol>
Reply To: <9308191324.aa09804@penet.penet.FI>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-19 20:06:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 13:06:05 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 13:06:05 PDT
To: julf@penet.FI (Johan Helsingius)
Subject: Re: T. Wells & Anonymity

> >   On the other hand, I feel Mr. Detweiler has gone a little overboard
> > in his attack in what seems to be an attempt to protect the masses from
> > their own stupidity. The simple facts of the matter are, any time you use an
> > anonymous remailer without encryption you run the risk of having your email
> > intercepted. One thing people need to learn is that the world is a risky place
> > and any action you take can have negative consequences. I certainly
> > wouldn't send threats to president@whitehouse.gov expecting Hal's
> > or Julf's remailers to protect me.
>
> Yes. But in this case we are talking about somebody who definitely feels it is
> OK to check in on other people's messages - but he only admited to it after a
> very lengthy debate on a.s.a.r, that he did his best to shut down - without
> replying to accusations of him eavesdropping.

He has threatened more than one person with lawsuits regarding this whole
matter.  I feel it is really in his best interest for this whole discussion
to go away.  Why, I can only speculate...

> >   If you are concerned about protecting the masses, write up your own
> > "Remailer Safety FAQ" detailing the benefits and dangers.
>
> I still feel a remailer operator should make his policies known up front.
> Just like Karl Kleinpaste's "if you do something I consider abuse, I will
> expose you" policy.

I've released APS-0.3 to the outside world, because I welcome criticism and
suggestions.  The Wells APS has never been released so far as I know - who
knows what the software does?

I don't monitor ANY of the messages going out through my APS - I'm too damned
busy trying to make a living in the sluggish California economy to worry
about who's posting/emailing what...
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001@khijol.uucp