1993-09-12 - Re: nada against the gubbamess…

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0feb21a2ed72bb4ac01ddf34670c2ef5f5331c96b7bd6e840a7c712cf97fbc77
Message ID: <9309121725.AA23425@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309121646.AA04893@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-12 17:33:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 12 Sep 93 10:33:23 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 93 10:33:23 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: nada against the gubbamess...

loki@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu asks:
> no doubt....I have a question for everyone though. How does anarchy
> deal with justice and who would be the ones to provide this service.

This is completely beyond the scope of Cypherpunks -- this isn't a
list about anarchism, its a list about cryptographic privacy. I'll
gladly suggest a few books for you, though...

"The Machinery of Freedom" by David Friedman (yes, THAT Friedman's son).
"The Enterprise of Law: Justice without the State" by Bruce Benson

Both are likely available from Laissez Faire books, at 800-326-0996.
They have a free catalog.

Benson's book is a thick, detailed and scholarly work that
concentrates solely on legal and judicial systems. Friedman's work is
a light survey of all sorts of libertarian and anarchist topics, from
monetary systems to a discussion of private judicial practice in
medieval Iceland.

Having presented some references, I suggest we now abandon the topic
of anarchism -- it isn't the purpose of this list. I think its
appropriate that people like me not hide our positions, but thats very
different from discussing them in an inappropriate place. There are
lots of discussion groups on the net for propertarian anarchists to
chat in -- and this is a list for cryptography.

Perry

Thread