1993-09-23 - H. Finney: #1 Cyberspatial Lawyer

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 18afdf8e726dcf4617739d859fa2648f52d5fdc48e0b008d68ffc1eae2aac829
Message ID: <9309232142.AA11493@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 14:47:23 PDT

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 14:47:23 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: H. Finney: #1 Cyberspatial Lawyer

I'm truly in awe. H. Finney gets my vote as Cypherpunk of the Week for
uncovering all this dazzlingly appropos information.

[U.S. vs. Posey decision]
>Technical data that is relatively harmless and even socially val-
>  uable when available domestically may, when sent abroad, pose unique
>  threats to national security.

gad -- they simply don't understand that cyberspace has no boundaries,
subject to the same delusions of the NSA. Maybe they should read that
extraordinary quote by Mr. President uncovered by Markoff.

>In any case, this decision and the earlier one it quotes both represent
>rejections by the 9th circuit appellate court (which includes California,
>where the grand jury investigations are taking place) of the argument
>that the ITARs infringe on First Amendment rights.  This will make it more
>difficult to use the First Amendment defense in any new charges of arms
>export violations.

either that, or we're TAKING THIS TO THE SUPREME COURT!

hee, hee. for the mentally challenged, that's *satire*, folks, don't get excited.

Thread