1993-09-30 - Re: FIDOnet encryption (or lack thereof)

Header Data

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1c30d610f355c5d24a71a3dfbf9ba0e0613d2fb71161b21fd5a0803c8ac2f887
Message ID: <9309301840.AA13551@netcom6.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199309301507.AA09112@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-30 18:41:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 11:41:55 PDT

Raw message

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 11:41:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FIDOnet encryption (or lack thereof)

Mike Godwin writes:
 > My question is this: how does he know that the mail is encrypted if he's
 > not examining the mail that passes through his system? If he *is*
 > examining the mail that passes through his system, it seems likely that he
 > is violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.

With UNIX it's quite simple to grep for "-----BEGIN PGP
MESSAGE-----"... and ditch messages that match.

I guess one could also run the incoming mail through a spell-checker
and reject messages with greater than %99 failure rate.

Neither of these require actual examination of the message by a human,
neither reveal content of a message to a human.

Thread