1993-09-29 - Re: Orange book, the NSA, and the NCSC

Header Data

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 29a0ab155b170d8395a465ce4bab73bb970dba7757d921b0709a60e10119495c
Message ID: <m0oi5rq-00022EC@khijol>
Reply To: <9309291733.AA06497@netcom3.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-29 18:11:46 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 11:11:46 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 11:11:46 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Orange book, the NSA, and the NCSC

> I got on this list of automatic books several years ago and now have
> about a dozen or more different publications, in different colors,
> from blue to green to the famous orange. All from the National
> Computer Security Center.
>
> Nothing juicy, and not much fun (for me) to read. Unix gurus trying to
> get better security classifications for their machines and systems
> have to read this stuff, though.

I had to wade through all that government stuff a while back.  I've got the
complete series, but haven't gotten any updates. :(  It's all pretty dry
and stuffy, but it did have some useful stuff, like the password guidelines
and how they figure out which machines can be trusted and which can't.

> Savage Road is the actual address of the Agency; Fort Meade per se is
> huge. NCSC as created in 1984 as part of NSDD-145 (National Security
> Decision Directive-145, a very important one). Prior to that date it
> had been called the DoD Computer Security Center, located smack dab in
> the center of SIGINT City.

Why is Directive 145 important?  <curious>

> I'd long been meaning to ask Dan about this. General Odom once was
> introduced at a speech he was giving to Jim Bamford. Odom recoiled and
> said "Sir, I consider you to be an unindicted felon."

<snicker>  I got a good laugh out of that one!! :) :)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001@khijol.uucp

Thread