1993-09-29 - Re: Disturbing statistics on wiretaps

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: pmetzger@shearson.com
Message Hash: 2d416ec64ebc0a4f4fd0ef7bef09e69977514bf9edb7b4ad702ebf876a31b622
Message ID: <199309291829.AA00403@eff.org>
Reply To: <9309291732.AA22615@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-29 18:31:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 11:31:47 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 11:31:47 PDT
To: pmetzger@shearson.com
Subject: Re: Disturbing statistics on wiretaps

Perry writes:

> How does the statute define "wire" communication?

Sigh. I hate typing stuff in, but I'll go ahead and type this one
in.

Sec. 2510. Definitions

As used in this chapter--

(1) "wire communication" means any aural transfer made in whole or in part
through the use of facilities for the transmission of communications by
the aid of wire, cable, or other like connection between the point of
origin and the point of reception (including the use of such connection in
a switching station) furnished or operated by any person engaged in
providing such facilities for the transmission of interstate or foreign
communications or communications affecting interstate or foreign commerce
and such term includes any electronic storage of such communication, but
such term does not include the radio portion of a cordless telephone
communication that is transmitted between the cordless telephone handset
and the base unit;....

-----

--Mike

Thread