1993-09-14 - A definitive definition of “crypto”

Header Data

From: ferguson@fiber.sprintlink.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
To: doug@netcom5.netcom.com
Message Hash: 3107db2002611359b7616bbb94fe108fac07cf156ef7ff57787af5818d65ec05
Message ID: <9309142018.AA15838@fiber.sprintlink.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 13:19:03 PDT

Raw message

From: ferguson@fiber.sprintlink.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 13:19:03 PDT
To: doug@netcom5.netcom.com
Subject: A definitive definition of "crypto"

On Tue, 14 Sep 1993 12:44:45 PDT,
 <doug@netcom5.netcom.com> Doug Merritt writes -

> Can anyone point me to (1) a reasonably authoritative legal definition
> of what "cryptography" means, that can be used to help decide precisely
> what does and does not fall under e.g. the export restrictions, and (2) a
> similar definition from the technical literature, to use in conjunction
> with #1?

Doug,

I'm not sure how much it will help you in distinguishing your objective,
but one of the best general purpose references that I have seen is the
sci.crypt Usenet newsgroup FAQ. It's posted occasiuonally to sci.crypt,
but I can't think of a site (offhand) where you can FTP it. If you have
access to a gopher or WAIS, give that a try.

Cheers,

Paul Ferguson
Mindbank Consulting Group                                    fergp@sytex.com
Fairfax, Virginia  USA                                       ferguson@icp.net