1993-09-23 - Re: more than spread spectrum

Header Data

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3ecd94d9baf25fb2b1033ae7aa5633070dd1d199094a3abed9fa76d44cd912a0
Message ID: <9309231528.AA25859@netcom2.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 08:32:16 PDT

Raw message

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 08:32:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more than spread spectrum

Phil Karn said:
>This idea of setting up your own independent network isn't as far fetched
>as it sounds, at least in a relatively local area with critical mass.

A little while ago I mentioned an SF Bay Area grass roots internet
connection project. When I talked to Qarin about it almost 1.5 years
ago, I'd thought that she was proposing an actual independent network
beginning in Santa Cruz, which is why I brought it up. However apparently
it is simply a connection to existing sub-Inets. After chasing down some
leads, Tom Jennings' .vacation notice says to contact John Gilmore
regarding SF area Little Garden business while Tom is away.

This naturally leads me to suspect that everyone here except me is
already well acquainted with all this...I've no idea what's going
on with Little Garden myself.

I like Phil's ideas, just for the record. :-)

Anyway, here's what I found on the Santa Cruz project, as long as I've
got it lying around.

P.S. The following does not include some rumors I heard some months ago,
that this project ran into opposition from commercial Internet providers
around here. It also says nothing about Qarin's radio wave internet link
ideas, so maybe that fell through.

---------------------- Item 1 of 2 ---------------------------
From: matthew kaufman <matthew@klinzhai.echo.com>
Newsgroups: scruz.sysops
Subject: Santa Cruz Community Internet (scruz-net) STATUS UPDATE
Date: 20 Sep 1993 23:18:03 -0700

Santa Cruz Community Internet (scruz-net)
903 Pacific Ave. #203-A
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(408) 426-6771   [for now...until new line is installed]
matthew@echo.com, queue@echo.com, garlick@echo.com

SEPTEMBER 20, 1993 STATUS UPDATE

- We now have an office leased for the hub. Address is above.
  This is also our new mailing address.

- We have ordered the 56kbps digital line to Mtn. View.

- RGNet (formerly TLG, The Little Garden) has signed their agreement
   with Sprint for a new Internet feed. They will switch to Sprint
   on or about November 1st, coincident with our beginning of full
   service.

- scruz-net has a registered domain name for our hub equipment
   and FTP/name servers (scruz.net)

- scruz-net has a Class B IP address space to be used to provide IP
   addresses to sites that haven't already obtained an IP address
   (165.227.x.x)  (initial sites... your IP address will be assigned
   this week)

- Santa Cruz Community Internet (scruz-net) is now a registered
   fictitous business name. We also have a City of Santa Cruz
   business license. We are a partnership.

- We have a checking account, so all the founding connection checks
   have been deposited.

- We have some of the equipment required (donated and/or loaned),
   and we will be purchasing the rest over the next few weeks.

- We will be obtaining a pager so that we can be contacted 24hrs
   in case of network problems.

Latest timeline:

  October 1  - we move equipment into office space and begin wiring
               everything up.

  October 13 - 56kbps line installation should be complete.

  October 15 - Testing begins. We bring up 56kbps connection to
               Mountain View, begin software configuration of
               routers and terminal servers. Sites which want
               to participate in initial testing can start
               dropping off their modems and we'll assign phone
               lines. Full IP routing will NOT be in effect,
               but you (and we) will be able to test SLIP/PPP
               software, failure recovery, local routing.
               Initial sites: before connecting, you'll need to
               sign an actual agreement, which we're writing up.

  November 1 - Sprint begins routing our addresses to RGnet, who
               then routes them to us. Full operation begins.
               Any sites which have paid initial fees can begin
               full operation.  (Note that this item depends upon
               the Sprint-RGnet arrangement)

  December 1 - First monthly payment due for connected sites.

Thanks to the 9 people who've already gotten us checks for their
initial connection, and the 3 whose checks we'll have soon. Without
your commitment we wouldn't have been able to get started.

Anyone else who wants to be included in the initial startup, you're
welcome to join... a check for $406 to "scruz-net" will sign you up
for a 14.4kbps connection. (That's $250 startup, $70 for the first month,
$70 for the phone line at our end, and $16 for the first month of
phone service at our end... you provide both modems, phone line at
your end, and all equipment at your end needed for a SLIP/PPP
connection).  After this, fees are $86/month ($70 for IP, $16 for phone
at our end.

Faster connections (56kbps leased line, 128kbps over ISDN)
are available... just ask.

-Matthew Kaufman       Qarin Van Brink      Tim Garlick
 matthew@echo.com      queue@echo.com       garlick@echo.com

---------------------- Item 2 of 2 ---------------------------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 93 23:14:34 PDT
From: matthew@klinzhai.echo.com (matthew kaufman)
To: doug@netcom.com

well, the best source of information is to just ask us questions.
The most interesting piece of information that someone who wants
to start something similar should know is that there's a group
like us in the Bay Area (San Francisco, Palo Alto and Mountain View)
called The Little Garden, and they're in fact who we're working
with to get IP connectivity to Santa Cruz. The contact person
for that is Tom Jennings (tomj@wps.com)

If they want to do something substantially south of Mountain View,
it might be cheaper to connect to us, or perhaps we could work
out an arrangement to reduce the digital line charges somehow,
so definitely they should keep in touch with us as well.

-matthew

Thread