1993-09-30 - Re: misc crypto stuff

Header Data

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e1553b0c938a679c2d35fd786cdf9b10a05e8df03dcbd0b881d59849845d8c5
Message ID: <9309302102.AA24247@netcom6.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199309301856.AA11463@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-30 21:01:56 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 14:01:56 PDT

Raw message

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 14:01:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: misc crypto stuff

Mike Godwin writes:
 > I'm not sure which case you're thinking of, Eric. I know of no case in
 > which the defendant was forced to disclose his keys.

I don't think I dreamed this, but...

I remember hearing that one of the people hit by the bamse sting had
encrypted a bunch of stuff on their system.  I also remember some
discussion of whether or not the person in question could be ordered
to reveal their keys.  (Maybe I *inferred* that the person had been
ordered to reveal their keys since there was a discussion of whether
or not it was legal.)

-eric

Thread