1993-09-23 - Re: Propriety of crypto on Mu

Header Data

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
To: frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 82f252dc913b8143bc010f01d186f8b06b5a297c8f08e50c6dc12f368dd9aaf9
Message ID: <sgcVq4z0BwwbQ5caAC@transarc.com>
Reply To: <199309231825.AA00822@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-23 22:12:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 15:12:23 PDT

Raw message

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 15:12:23 PDT
To: frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Propriety of crypto on Mu

Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com> writes:
> Note that in a number of "regulatory" first amendment cases, the appeals
> courts decided in favor of the government while the Supremes voted
> unanimously in favor of freedom of communication.  Sometimes you have to
> make it up the ladder.

Pardon my cynicism, but I think I know why.
These little judges really, really, want to be appointed Supremes.  So
they aren't likely to rule in a fashion which will threaten the
potential interests of a current or future US president.  Since the
natural goal of government is to accrue power, there seems to be a
safe prediction of what those future interests will be.

Lyle		Transarc		707 Grant Street
412 338 4474	The Gulf Tower		Pittsburgh 15219

Thread