1993-09-20 - Re: Attn: P. Metzger and an36440, please delete this immediately

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 912cd032bf6cf51809c38e853e78bbd1b5f3d93e9fb256a02a9a6c4c95b8ae21
Message ID: <9309200214.AA09657@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309200134.AA00413@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-20 02:15:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 19:15:57 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 19:15:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Attn: P. Metzger and an36440, please delete this immediately

"L. Detweiler" says:
> Forwarded from J. Bidzos.
>
> this actually *strengthens* the NSA theories.

What theories? We *know* they are the ones who care about crypto and
have been trying to keep it restricted. This is as interesting as
saying "you know, I think that France is in Europe." Some have
accurately made the statement that the NSA does not directly enforce
any anti crypto export regulations but has to act through the commerce
department and the department of state, but we all know that they are
the ones who care in the long run. As for who in particular set off
this investigation, well, what does that matter? Lets say that it was
the NSA. Does this change anyone's strategy here?

> (go ahead, flame me some more. I've been called, culling from all the
> best, a ``screaming, ranting, hysterical, yammering lunatic running
> about like a headless barnyard fowl  just adding noise and confusion''
> -- can anyone top that?)

Nah. I think that I pretty much summarized it the first time, although
you are misquoting me, in so far as I didn't use all those terms in
one phrase.

Perry

Thread