1993-09-21 - Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92454b2b3d2d297ae571db33ba8726d7832371635a08c9d237146e255961c72e
Message ID: <9309212210.AA22904@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309212157.AA10055@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-21 22:13:11 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 15:13:11 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 15:13:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

Marc Horowitz says:
> >> If Bidzos is using the term "technical data" as it's defined in $120.21
> >> of the ITAR, I think it's debatable. Can we come up with data to support
> >> that IDEA and RSA are "commonly taught .. in academia"?
>
> Well, I learned about the RSA algorithms in 18.063 (Introduction to
> Algebraic Systems), which is a required mathematics course at MIT for
> an undergraduate CS degree.

I learned about lots of this stuff in an advanced course in
cryptography taught by Zvi Galil and some of his students and
colleagues (like Stu Haber and Joan Feigenbaum) at Columbia.

I suspect that there is an academic discipline here (lots of PhDs
specializing in cryptography) and papers and academic journals and
conferences make it fairly clear that this data is common in academia.

Perry

Thread