1993-09-10 - Digital warfare

Header Data

From: ferguson@fiber.sprintlink.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 990ca2e0eae0cd6f6f8c420475092214a8e003623739320ba9647d5f2f9899ec
Message ID: <9309110040.AA09675@fiber.sprintlink.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 16:47:53 PDT

Raw message

From: ferguson@fiber.sprintlink.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 16:47:53 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Digital warfare

On Fri, 10 Sep 93 14:35:02 PDT,
 <uunet!netcom.com!tcmay> Timothy C. May wrote -

> An investigator called this type of crime the wave of the
> future, and said something to the effect that "chips will
> be the coke of the 90s." Also talk of black markets and
> how computer networks are being used to coordinate things.

> So, if you see folks using BlackNet for advertising Intel
> chips....

 That's an interesting point (images of "Wild Palms" conjured).
 This _is_ the wave of the future, as Tim implies, and it's
 unfortunate that instances such as this (segway) tarnishes what
 it is that I think many of us are trying to espouse in the
 cypherpunk movement.

Paul Ferguson               |   privacy \'pri-va-see\ n, pl, -cies;
Mindbank Consulting Group   |   1: the quality or state of being apart
Fairfax, Virginia USA       |   from others  2: secrecy
fergp@sytex.com             |
ferguson@icp.net            |   Privacy -- Use it or lose it.

Thread