1993-09-22 - Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

Header Data

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9a39d297aeb3c72bf61d66fb4333e3ced195643cab2fd144fbb96635f80d4e35
Message ID: <9309220242.AA15993@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-22 02:46:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 19:46:42 PDT

Raw message

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 19:46:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

>Similarly, it was taught in an advanced discrete math course at the

Since no one else has mentioned it...the NSA tried to head off the
original publication of public key cryptography, threatening star
chambers, national security directives, and jail terms. This was thwarted
by profs at a hundred colleges across the U.S. immediately assigning
the algorithm as homework to every software class they were teaching
at the same time, thus rather letting the cat out of the bag. The NSA
then backed off, and publications followed.

The material has been a natural part of certain courses ever since,
depending on tastes of the prof.

Part of the above story I experienced directly, since I was at Berkeley
at the time, and other parts I heard from Ralph Merkle, who was either
still there or had just gone to Stanford...I can't recall which.

So if someone is collecting stories about the commonality of teaching
such things, I imagine there must be some hundreds of thousands of
eye witness reports.

I implemented a 512 bit pubkey algorithm for kicks on a Z80 CPM system
around 1982 based on a paper in the open literature that aimed at
non-mathematicians and gave details such as efficient GCD algorithms.
There cannot be any question about how widely known these techniques are.
	Doug

Thread