1993-09-11 - Re: Digital warfare

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a918fd305be99a5757d5c2dcff6e903b6e7ef82c1cf4863662348a43f960aaf8
Message ID: <9309111519.AA15630@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309110410.AA06849@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-11 15:28:07 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 08:28:07 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 08:28:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Digital warfare

Phil Karn says:
> I want to echo Carl's sentiments. I do find talk about cryptographically
> enforced underground economies to be interesting, but scary as well
> precisely because I'm afraid of what the backlash might do to the
> cryptographically enforced personal privacy that I'm primarily
> interested in.

You have to accept that the tools for the one are the same as the
tools for the other. Its reasonable to not want to emphasize both, but
its unreasonable to assume that the enemy doesn't already know that
both are done with the same algorithms. If this worries you, come up
with your arguments now -- you will need them later.

Perry

Thread