1993-09-20 - Re: meaningless rumor

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: smb@research.att.com
Message Hash: b8faf503de8273958f5f433fd17c8336380c6a5230fc334b1a417c8f2df94c9d
Message ID: <9309201255.AA14286@crypto.com>
Reply To: <9309201128.AA29694@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-20 13:06:05 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 06:06:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 06:06:05 PDT
To: smb@research.att.com
Subject: Re: meaningless rumor

>they may throw in charges of importing IDEA, though I doubt that they'd
>indict just on those grounds; in an era of key escrow, they'd certainly
>like a court to rule they had the power to exclude subversive foreign
>crypto....
>		--Steve Bellovin

Steve,

Assuming that whoevever implemented PGP did not himself import the cipher, but
based the implementation on the EUROCRYPT '90 paper that was 'imported'
by Springer-Verlag, I don't understand what the basis would be for such a
charge.  Now an indictment against Springer for shipping the proceedings
(which contained C source code for IDEA) into the US - that would be
interesting...

-matt

Thread