1993-09-30 - fido encryption.

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bb3237202d3c69b56ae03c0e2c4567494c4191ca168cd45b204f5bbc2b1b7862
Message ID: <9309300633.AA27652@triton.unm.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 23:36:36 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 23:36:36 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: fido encryption.

     Hi all!  I just conducted an experiment whose results indicate how far
we (Cypherpunks) have to go in educating the American Public WRT encryption
technology:

I send an encrypted message via fidonet! (awk!)

     I had heard a rumor that fidonet forbade encrypted e-mail, but I had to
find out for myself.  Well, they do.  Now I understand that these sysops are
spending their own money and equipment to provide these services and have
the right to regulate it in any way they see fit.  That's not the point.
The point(s) is/are:

1)   They ACTIVELY enforce this policy.  They don't simply say "no," they
check (presumably) all of their user's email to enforce this policy.

2)   They seem to be afraid to pass/store encrypted messages on their
system.  This indicates to me a lack of understanding of the concept of
privacy.  They seem to buy into the idea that "only BAD people encrypt
email."

     We need to educate the electronic community before we can hope to
educate the general public.  The text of the messages follow with the names
removed.  BTW, the text of the plaintext message was "this is a test."  Just
thought you'd be interested.  Comments?

 BBS: The Tech Source
Date: 09-16-93 (00:00)             Number: 261
  To: MIKE DIEHL                    Recvd: YES (PVT)
Subj: Encrypted Mail                 Conf: (0) PrivateE-M

This is a test.

Mike, Please advise the sender of this message that I DO NOT allow
encrypted mail to pass thru this system. I expect folks to abide by this
rule voluntarily...

I would hate to have to block all messages from this source becuase
someone wishes to violate my policy :)

BTW, the debate about "encrypted" mail with me is MOOT...  I will not vary
from my position... (just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to
try to convince me it is OK to allow encrypted mail...) please have the
other person send encrypted mail directly to your machine...

Thank you..

Sysop of Another BBS?

Thread