1993-09-16 - Fwd: PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES (PCS) SPECTRUM AUCTION

Header Data

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c4d05bcdbb9f1d0aa64b02083869b4e82ad4d9a15bae9f07c592e1628e4cf621
Message ID: <9309161725.AA28448@netcom2.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 10:29:21 PDT

Raw message

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 10:29:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Fwd: PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES (PCS) SPECTRUM AUCTION

I thought the Cypherpunks might take an interest in this...

In <9309151633.AA29877@essential.org>, james love wrote...

> Taxpayer Assets Project
> Information Policy Note
> September 15, 1993
>

>      TAXPAYER ASSETS PROJECT FILES COMMENTS WITH FCC ON
>      PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES (PCS) SPECTRUM AUCTION
>
>      On Friday September 10, 1993 the Taxpayer Assets Project
> (TAP) filed comments with the Federal Communications Commission
> (FCC) on the proposed auction of spectrum for Personal
> Communications Services (PCS).  PCS is the name for a new class
> of wireless telecommunications services that industry groups
> claim will generate more than $200 billion in revenue by the year
> 2010.
>
>      TAP's comments addressed two issues, the size of the
> spectrum blocks to be auctioned, and the bidding methods used to
> allocate the PCS licenses.
>
> BACKGROUND
>
>      Congress and the Clinton Administration will use auctions to
> award licenses to use new spectrum that was previously allocated
> to the government and other uses.  Industry groups are engaged in
> intense lobbying over the terms of the auctions, which will be
> designed by the FCC.  A key issue is the number of licenses to be
> awarded in each market.  PCS Action, Inc., an industry trade
> group, wants the FCC to limit the number of licenses in each
> market, in order to limit "excessive" competition, that would
> "marginalize" PCS services.  PCS Action prefers two licenses per
> market, and "certainly no more than three."  PCS Action, Inc. has
> also argued that large blocks of spectrum (40 Mhz) are needed for
> each license for technical reasons.  If the large 40 Mhz blocks
> are used the FCC can award no more than 3 license per market.
>
>      Other potential license holders or PCS competitors have
> argued that much smaller spectrum blocks are technically
> feasible, and would provide more post auction competition.  MCI
> and Bell Atlantic have filed comments with the FCC saying that 20
> Mhz blocks are adequate, and some PCS bidders have indicated that
> blocks as small as 10 Mhz may be large enough.  The issue of the
> size of spectrum blocks is important, since it will determine the
> maximum number of licenses that can be issued in each local
> market.
>
>      A second issue that has received less attention concerns the
> methods used to receive revenues from winning bidders.  The
> government can require bidders to submit up front cash payments,
> or payments over time, including royalties against future PCS
> revenues.
>

> TAP COMMENTS ON THE SIZE OF PCS SPECTRUM BLOCKS
>
>      Regarding the size of the spectrum blocks to be auctioned,
> TAP said:
>
>      The FCC should allow bidders to purchase the smallest
>      possible blocks of the spectrum, while providing for
>      mechanisms that will allow bidders to aggregate or
>      consolidate blocks, subject to FCC approval. . .
>
>      By choosing the smallest possible blocks of spectrum to
>      auction, the FCC will assign the initial rights to use the
> [...]

;; Stig@netcom.com                            netcom.com:/pub/stig/00-PGP-KEY
;; It's hard to be cutting-edge at your own pace...   32 DF B9 19 AE 28 D1 7A
;; Bullet-proof code cannot stand up to teflon bugs.  A3 9D 0B 1A 33 13 4D 7F

Thread