1993-09-21 - Re: Master Key: A Clipper Story

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cc828cb3efaf73b59d2a8980930a31cb5debc4cdb725ef5f108d661fe615933a
Message ID: <9309211914.AA17965@netcom5.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9309210612.AA19084@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-21 19:16:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 12:16:33 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 12:16:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Master Key: A Clipper Story

I enjoyed the Cypherpunk short story, "Master Key." Not perfect, maybe
longer than some would like, but generally entertaining.

It seems to me that writing scenarios for the future is a useful thing
to do, allowing exploration of various developments in a fictional
setting. This is a time-honored thing to do when new technologies
appear, and is something I've been trying to do for several years now
(writing a novel about the development of crypto anarchy, and have
been--gulp!--since 1988...maybe someday, unless events overtake me).

An editor might tighten up "Infocalypse"'s writing, and the whole idea
that Skipjack will fall to genetic programming techniques seems to be
a reach. But who knows....the truth is often stranger than fiction.

And the transition to a Clipper world seems to happen a bit faster
than I think is likely.

But these are quibbles.

Highlighting the "house of cards" effect in using a centralized,
monolithically controlled crypto system (the Skipjack algorithm) is an
important contribution. If the public is to understand the
consequences of the kind of centralization favored by the Feds, e.g.,
Skipjack and the National Data Superhighway, then they'll need
understandable pieces like this.

As to the repeat mailing, this needs to be addressed by Infocalypse.
Maybe he sent it once, didn't see it within some reasonable time, and
sent it again.

As to length, and the "Hey, I pay for my mail" comments, bear in mind
that this story undoubtedly took Infocalypse a tremendous amount of
time to craft, whereas many of the many "forwardings" we get here on
this list are just as long and yet took almost no effort to send to
the list.

Thus, we should cut Infocalypse some slack. And congratulate him, in
fact.

Well done!

-Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.

Thread