1993-09-17 - KEY ESCROW PROCEDURES

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d2472e4dd147a1912335f966c859f32d3edffb46f5054021bc624d760b6934ca
Message ID: <9309170404.AA28623@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 21:05:52 PDT

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 21:05:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: KEY ESCROW PROCEDURES

(Disclaimer: in no way should any of my own writings on this subject be
construed as supportive of key escrow.)

Key escrow procedures as revealed in Congress, received via M. Godwin
and J. Berman of EFF.  First is J. Berman analysis followed by text
itself, covering the various types of interception under 3 laws:
omnibus Crime Control & Safe Streets (1968), Foreign Intelligence
Surveillance Act (FISA), and finally under state statutes. (Perhaps
someone can identify the differences in the various procedures buried
in the bureacratese, but they are all largely verbatim copies.) Notes:

1) escrow agencies (finally) IDENTIFIED: NIST and `non-law enforcement
component of the Dept. of Treasury' as `tentative' choices to be
finalized in `the next few days'.

2) LE agents have to get `black boxes' (a PC) to extract/read the LEAF
(ID field) of the communications. Each box has an ID.

3) according to Berman, the LE agency *faxes* (?) the device ID number
to the agents along with certifications on interception authority, ID
of the black box, and the length of authorization.

4) agencies transmit the keys to the black box in a secure, encrypted
channel. `key components will only work with that particular black box,
and only for the state duration of the intercept'.

5) the most ominous sounding paragraph is the following, which
specifically *revokes* any rights or guarantees to privacy or `due
process' based on the technology & procedures:

>These procedures do not create, and are not intended to create,
>any substantive rights for individuals intercepted through
>electronic surveillance, and noncompliance with these procedures
>shall not provide the basis for any motion to suppress or other
>objection to the introduction of electronic surveillance evidence
>lawfully acquired.

that is, this disclaimer seems to be an attempt to evade the
`exclusionary rule' and `poisoned tree' legal doctine (the practice of
courts in excluding evidence illegally obtained and other evidence
therefrom) by legislative fiat.

Major criticisms *not* addressed by this protocol:

- why isn't the link *to* the encryption agencies, wherein the Clipper
phone ID is sent, secure & encrypted itself? If police `fax' these
ID's, what is to prevent them from trading them and misrepresenting
them on the warrants seen by the agencies?

- Berman writes that the LE agents tell the key escrow agencies how
long they are requesting the warrant. Now, this is strange. Does the
escrow agency ever refuse a warrant if the time period is not legal
under the applicable law? and is any police agent going to request
*less* than the maximum  period allowed by law?

- we have claim that records are kept on many sides, such as the
requesting side and the granting sides. are records kept of *failed*
requests? or do all `illegally-phrased requests' rejected by the key
escrow agencies simply disappear?

- In fact, do the key escrow agencies *ever* reject a request? this
plan below says nothing of the grounds under which requests may be
denied. What's the point?

- NO indication of the critically important key generation protocol.
Are we to take Denning's American Scientist article as authoritative?
if so, forget it.

- If there is no legal penalty in court for violating the protocols, as
the disclaimer seems to attempt to evoke, what's the point? at the
*bare minimum* there is required exclusion of tainted taps, and other
penalties for infringing parties are wholly in order.

Berman also reveals very fascinating glimpses: `The Administration
rejects the argument that voice encryption is readily available.' The
AT&T product `posed a unique threat in terms of voice quality,
affordability, portability and strength of the encryption' -- strong
confirmation of the theories that Clipper was rushed out, prematurely,
to face it. They are clearly strongly concerned about new Motorola
products, the `next voice encryption product in the pipeline'. (NSA is
in *big* trouble when there is more than one pipeline to choke, as is
rapidly becoming the case).

Interesting insights into administration psyche with Berman's quotes of
government officials:

1) `Clipper market share' will cause momentum to the standard (hee, hee)

2) `careless bad guys' will use Clipper (yeah, right)

3) why private key agencies rejected, but also the NSA: the former,
concerns on longevity and security related to profit, the latter, `for
credibility reasons' (snicker)

4) `key criterion' for escrow agents: `experience in and an
infrastructure for handling sensitive information'

5) `briefers admitted it is not really a key escrow system'. (!)
escrows' obligation `will be to the government' with `no duties or
responsibilities to users' (?!)

>        Both John Podesta and Mark Richard stated that there is no plan on
>or over the horizon to outlaw non-escrowed encryption.

6) International aspects `thorniest to deal with'. Clipper exportable
with a license (surprise). `Other nations would not participate in the
escrow system.' Hm, I doubt it. Not if the NSA can help it.

Cypherpunks: one can sense the undertone of confusion, hopelessness and
despair in these accounts. Let's keep up the heat until the omelette
has completely vaporized.