1993-09-28 - Re: Disturbing statistics on wiretaps

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: allan@elvis.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey)
Message Hash: d4fb454ad61aa9188f7a4c8d316744e39cf3d2e73c50a43b938164e1eb5e38a9
Message ID: <199309282026.AA18872@eff.org>
Reply To: <9309281950.AA04308@elvis.tamu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-28 20:31:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 13:31:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 13:31:33 PDT
To: allan@elvis.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey)
Subject: Re: Disturbing statistics on wiretaps

Allan writes:

>   I don't think e-mail over the Intenet will ever be used in court
> since anyone capable of reading the RFC would be able to forge email.
> So, anyone could claim that the email being used as evidence is a
> forgery _and_ be able to prove it by doing it or demonstrating it.

This is not how evidence works. The fact that Internet mail can be forged
may cast doubt on the authenticity of a message, but it wouldn't result in
its inadmissibility. The jury can make its own decision about whether
the mail is authentic, based on full information about the possibility
of forgery.

--Mike

Thread