1993-09-11 - Re: Digital warfare

Header Data

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d73c7c119b30dc566399b15ad6430ecd6d4fcb56c8459e52adf81bce4e0e3c81
Message ID: <9309110713.AA27885@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 00:18:51 PDT

Raw message

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 00:18:51 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Digital warfare

>Subject: Re: Digital warfare
>To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
>Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1993 00:08:37 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>

>The two are really inseperable and it seems to be of little value to
>pretend that they are not.

IMNSHO, whether they're inseperable or not, harping on anarchy is like
advocating strong crypto so that terrorists can use it, ignoring all
legitimate uses.  It's the talk which plays into FBI hands, not the
reality.  The reality is here and can not be avoided but reality can't be
cited in PR campaigns the way talk can.

I know that drug dealers, terrorists and child molestors will use strong
crypto.  That doesn't mean that I cite such uses when I write letters to
Congress or to magazine editors.  I cite legitimate uses which the general
public will applaud -- not the abberant uses which can not be avoided, no
matter how draconian the legislation against crypto.

It might be satisfying to point out to the government that they can't stop
anarchists and criminals from using crypto but IMHO that would merely
(1) anger them and (2) give them ammo for denying ligitimate users
access to crypto.  It might even be that that's what they want all along
-- let the criminals have it and deny it to you and me.  That way criminals
identify themselves by passing random-looking bits between them.

Have a nice day.

 - Carl

Thread