1993-09-20 - Re: reporter seeking interview subjects

Header Data

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
To: Matt Binder <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eb1b56d10bc0ea6ca52a36102fa274dceefe0d9fe447b059e81508e0df744206
Message ID: <9309200337.AA13543@netcom3.netcom.com>
Reply To: <binder@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-20 03:39:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 20:39:50 PDT

Raw message

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 20:39:50 PDT
To: Matt Binder <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: reporter seeking interview subjects

In <93Sep17.230857pdt.14382-4@well.sf.ca.us>, Matt Binder wrote...
> Hi, my name is Matt Binder.  Please help me...
>         I'm a radio reporter in the SF Bay area working on a series
> of pieces about invasions of privacy in the computer age.  I'm
> looking for interesting "case studies" that I can use to horrify
> my listeners out of their complacency.

I think it's really important that if you're looking to shock your audience
that you also show a glimpse of not only the "light at the end of the
tunnel" but also a glimpse of the reasons that people would be better off
making a dash for the end of the tunnel than trying to run back to the
tunnel's start.  Otherwise, you're just fueling the anxieties of countless
luddites and techonophobes.

> My most immediate need is
> to find someone whose medical records were used (perused!)

I hardly speak for all of the cypherpunks, of course, but generally we work
the "Big Brother" side of the street.  There are others who are more on top
of this sort of thing.  Judyc@well might be a good resource for this sort of
thing.

    Stig

;; Stig@netcom.com                            netcom.com:/pub/stig/00-PGP-KEY
;; It's hard to be cutting-edge at your own pace...   32 DF B9 19 AE 28 D1 7A
;; Bullet-proof code cannot stand up to teflon bugs.  A3 9D 0B 1A 33 13 4D 7F

Thread