1993-09-11 - Re: offshore data havens, from RISKs

Header Data

From: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f8f9d4f4db472ba16a4404ed0faac8607231b0a360e57ba8adee54902ef71ad0
Message ID: <Hi4P0B1w164w@ideath.goldenbear.com>
Reply To: <9309110500.AA05482@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-11 17:39:02 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 10:39:02 PDT

Raw message

From: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 10:39:02 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: offshore data havens, from RISKs

"L. Detweiler" <uunet!longs.lance.colostate.edu!ld231782> writes:

> OK, here's an *excellent* opportunity to get some cypherpunk exposure
> on RISKS. Amazingly, we haven't really been seen there before. I move
> that T.C. May or some other prominent cypherpunk write a letter
> representative of group interest and ideas on the subject. But anyone

If someone does write this letter, please don't represent the Cypherpunks
list as being entirely composed of libertarians or (in Perry's words)
"capitalist anarchists", whatever those might be. It seems counterproductive
to me to enter into extended political debates here on the list, so I don't
- but it's a mistake to assume that silence, in this case, constitutes
agreement or consensus about deeper political issues. I think it'd be more
accurate to represent the C-punks list as a group of folks with divergent
political viewpoints who agree on the importance of personal privacy and see
technology as a potential vehicle for acheiving or maintaining it.

--
Greg Broiles                            greg@goldenbear.com
Golden Bear Computer Consulting         +1 503 342 7982

Thread