1993-09-14 - Re: warez garbage cluttering the screen

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
Message Hash: fa4a5a1501f572333afd25a01ac5811830fc0d19064c22e84a0c65dc4f45dcfa
Message ID: <m0ocVee-000297C@warrior>
Reply To: <m0ocVHw-0009HYC@mindvox.phantom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-14 08:49:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 01:49:53 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 01:49:53 PDT
To: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
Subject: Re: warez garbage cluttering  the  screen

> > What have these endless  bandwidth wasting   lists   of
> >                supposed   warez   sites  to  do  with  Cypherpunks? Please
> > take  your  personnal  vendettas  elsewhere.  I  pay  for DL  time.
> >
> > ---Marc
>
> 1) The fl0w of wArEz keeps the universe in perfect harmony.  Without wArEz

Ommmmm....."If you can explain it, it isn't the Tao..."

> there would be no life as we know it.  And just because you are a rich fat
> fuck who can afford to plunk down $795 for a copy of Pagemaker, you
> shouldn't take a moral stance against those who cannot afford such
> extortion yet need these software tools to keep up technologically with
> rich fat fucks like yourself.

If he's complaining about d/l time, I guess he can't be too rich.  Or maybe
that's how he got that way?

> 2) wArEz have A LOT to do with Cypherpunks.  Software, pirated or
> otherwise has value, and as such it must be considered as a form of
> digital money.  One may trade encrypted wArEz anonymously over anonymous
> mailing lists, FSP/FTP sites, newsgroups like the proposed alt.waste, and
> BlackNet.  wArEz _are_ digital gold coins, they have inherent value,
> unlike useless encrypted random number certificates advocated by others.

Unfortunately, that sort of value is the sort that can get people thrown in
the clink unless one is very careful...

> 3) I don't give a flying fuck if you pay for your DL time.  If you're
> stupid enough to be using AOL as your Internet port of entry, then you
> deserve to be ripped off by Compuserve's evil bastard cousin.  Why don't
> you point and click yourself a new brain, and join a flat-rate system like
> Netcom or any of the hundred other public access internet sites. Support the
> small entrepreneurs instead of those lazy fat bastard nazi censors at AOL.

Too much coffee, or not enough Thorazine?  ;)

All in all, a very entertaining post - I think I woke up my roommate with
my chuckles!
--
Ed Carp				erc@apple.com			510/659-9560

If you want magic, let go of your armor.  Magic is so much stronger than
steel!        -- Richard Bach, "The Bridge Across Forever"

Thread