1993-10-03 - Re: PGP in FIDO

Header Data

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Message Hash: 13b937abbbb174fa77fcdb1b8a3ea1a1c85516e93a3193dabb74b7c6a743b602
Message ID: <m0ojInL-00022EC@khijol>
Reply To: <9310022344.AA19737@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-03 02:08:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 19:08:50 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 19:08:50 PDT
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Subject: Re: PGP in FIDO

> Ed Carp says:
> > FYI, to be married in this way, you have to declare yourself in public as
> > married - introducing yourself as someone's husband or wife, for example, is
> > enough.  But being "common law" married, it's only "legally" - that is, if
> > one or both parties want to dissolve the marriage and don't want to exercise
> > their rights, they can just walk away from the marriage.
>
> Untrue. Common law marriage is a real marriage in every single sense.
> There is no legal difference in states that recognize it. You need a
> real honest to god divorce in order to end one. Look it up if you
> don't believe me.

Not at all.  I *did* look it up.  Technically, you are correct - but that
marriage is recorded by no government agency, you won't find it in any
public records - hell, if you still file 'single' on your tax return, who's
going to know?  You can just walk away - and if your spouse agrees with
you, you *can*.  I'm not talking about 'what would do in court' - I'm
talking real life.

How do I know?  I'm an ex-cop.  I worked on one of those 'common law'
marriage cases.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            an38299@anon.penet.fi