1993-10-26 - Re: the Joy of Pseudospoofing Satan

Header Data

From: “Robert J. Woodhead” <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
To: Panzer Boy <panzer@drown.slip.andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 1604291d1fd228e393121eadbcbb3688685245a4d31eec9bd1e73a4c2733fb65
Message ID: <9310260239.AA07044@dink.foretune.co.jp>
Reply To: <Pine.3.05.1.9310251251.B2130-b100000@drown.slip.andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-26 02:44:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 19:44:17 PDT

Raw message

From: "Robert J. Woodhead" <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 19:44:17 PDT
To: Panzer Boy <panzer@drown.slip.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: the Joy of Pseudospoofing Satan

Panzer Boy writes:

>I do ask you L Detweiler, what you consider of this case.  In "real-life"
>awhile back there was a womem who was an actor.  She didn't like the fact
>that she needed an agent to get w>ork.  So she invented a personality, an
>became her own agent.  She aquired a different personality, different
>voice patterns, etc, for this agent.  She made sure the agent did
>everything over the phone, never meeting clients in person.  Soon after
>doing this, she started being an agent for other actors also.  She
>obviously spoke well of her actorself when she was in her agentself, and
>she obviously kept two personalities.  Is this wrong?  Should this women
>not have done this?

Yes, she was being deceptive.  No, she was not being maliciously
deceptive, as her "agentself" was merely doing the same thing that
a seperate agent would have done, being an advocate for the actor.

The difference is that the third party _expects_ the agent to praise
the actor.  In L Detweilers example, the pseudo-spoofer was using
the _lack_ of expectation to his/her advantage.

> -Matt                              | Please get my public key if you wish
> (panzer@drown.slip.andrew.cmu.edu) | to verify that this message is mine.

>"That which can never be enforced should not be prohibited."

Thread