1993-10-24 - Proposed policy: look like sig

Header Data

From: gwt@eskimo.com (George Taylor)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1ca111ee7a5818d4d60b3cd5f073f8059b46916e7c618f1996a1bae210adbd32
Message ID: <199310240504.AA15243@eskimo.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Oct 93 22:03:30 PDT

Raw message

From: gwt@eskimo.com (George Taylor)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 93 22:03:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Proposed policy: look like sig

Eric said,

>Given the objections I've received, I now amend my proposal from "sign
>your messages, or else" to "make something that looks like a
>signature, or else".  This has several consequences that I
>particularly like.

Wouldn't it "look like a signature" if I just copied at the end
of an article the actual signature of some other, signed, article?
That would be a true signature, just not mine and not for this
article.  It sounds as though it would meet the suggested requirement,
but I don't see how it would accomplish the goals.  I could do it
with a macro, or maybe use a special .sig for posts to this list.
It wouldn't add anything to my software.

What am I missing?

-George

Thread