1993-10-18 - uniqueness

Header Data

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 21a193f8b1b5f3db05a06444fd624ff9ef1ce3c5087df29d5e15691668b79ed7
Message ID: <9310181424.AA21853@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 07:27:17 PDT

Raw message

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 07:27:17 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: uniqueness

>what really is our assurance that all these email addresses actually
>exist and represent *unique* people? there really is very little currently.

I see no way to guarantee uniqueness of the person unless you manage to
incorporate some unique characteristic of a person (right hand print, for
example) into a digital signature.

PEM's key certificates might be an attempt to guarantee uniqueness but even
there I can cheat by having a second job under a second name, for example,
and getting a certificate in both.

 - Carl

Thread