1993-10-04 - NPR and bias

Header Data

From: Matthew B. Landry <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5f871abd69e1be7dce807ede6e05a19c8fb23d13f58a087fd6ec54004c4ec1f6
Message ID: <9310041825.AA16278@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 11:29:07 PDT

Raw message

From: Matthew B. Landry <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 11:29:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NPR and bias

        I'd just like to add a comment on the question of NPR's biases. Yes,
they do get most of their funding from the govt, which leads them to take a
stance on some issues which agrees with the govt position. On the other hand,
virtually the entire mainstream media would be considered biased in favor of
the govt by this standard.
        In fact, NPR has a very good journalistic record, and many of its
reporters have proven themselves willing to take on the government when they
feel the government is wrong.
        Another factor in this equation is the fact that this list does not
exactly reach a wide audience, politically or population-wise. We are (as TC
May eloquently put it when responding to one of my posts) preaching to the
choir here (and a relatively small choir at that). The rest of the world does
not necessarily see things the way we do, and we aren't likely to get much
sympathy from the owners of commercial media outlets.
        Basically, I think that NPR is the best we're going to get, as far as
good exposure is concerned. Yes, they have their faults, but I challenge anyone
to show me a single major national media outlet that doesn't.
--
Matthew B. Landry
ml7694a@american.edu

Thread