1993-10-21 - Anon Bank Accounts / Imminent Demise of US Govt (Conclusion)

Header Data

From: Robert J Woodhead <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 635d35148a7fa4d293d466cea4ade66131d73737e2545ed5ce2d41513bd8722e
Message ID: <9310210229.AA14636@dink.foretune.co.jp>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 19:32:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Robert J Woodhead <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 19:32:51 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Anon Bank Accounts / Imminent Demise of US Govt (Conclusion)

Stanton McCandlish asks:
> If the govt is oppressive at all, why support this?

Perry E. Metzger posits:
> Who needs to break it [government]? At the current rate,
> it will have destroyed itself within a decade.

My answer is simple: the alternative is worse.  Anarchy is
usually very uncomfortable, unless you have more guns and
money than anyone else.  Also, the current US government is,
at it's core, based on sound principles.  If it crashes and
burns, what is it more likely to be replaced by?

Whether you like it or not, you live in and are supported by
a society, in a myriad of ways.  The maintenance and improve-
ment of that society, and the betterment of your fellow human
beings, ought to be a primary goal.  It is for me.

And finally, Sameer Parekh opines:
> I'd suggest that the politics discussion be taken to another
> forum?

A good suggestion.  I've made my point, and perhaps infected
a few people with a meme or two.  Time to shut up.

Best,