1993-10-27 - CPSR Crypto Resolution

Header Data

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@washofc.cpsr.org>
To: CYPHERPUNKS <CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com>
Message Hash: 6d1f3c224a0e952b5080940c605b1c8e21c72ecb81f4029de6550eaa198db93d
Message ID: <00541.2834516628.335@washofc.cpsr.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 19:12:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@washofc.cpsr.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 19:12:44 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS <CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com>
Subject: CPSR Crypto Resolution

  CPSR Crypto Resolution
CPSR Cryptography Resolution

Adopted by the CPSR Board of Directors, San Francisco, CA October 18,
1993

WHEREAS,

Digital communications technology is becoming an increasingly
significant component of our lives, affecting our educational,
financial, political and social interaction; and

The National Information Infrastructure requires high assurances of
privacy to be useful; and

Encryption technology provides the most effective technical means of
ensuring the privacy and security of digital communications; and

Restrictions on cryptography are likely to impose significant costs on
scientific freedom, government accountability, and economic
development; and

The right of individuals to freely use encryption technology is
consistent with the principles embodied in the Constitution of the
United States; and

The privacy and security of digital communications is essential to the
preservation of a democratic society in our information age; and

CPSR has played a leading role in many efforts to promote privacy
protection for new communications technologies:

BE IT RESOLVED THAT

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility supports the right of
all individuals to design, distribute, obtain and use encryption
technology and opposes any government attempt to interfere with the
exercise of that right; and

CPSR opposes the development of classified technical standards for the
National Information Infrastructure.

Thread