1993-10-21 - Re: Paper Shredders

Header Data

From: owen@autodesk.com (D. Owen Rowley)
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Message Hash: 7cab5d482f019967184a37b14a52e71ccdd31e97507792b680bcd1161e4cf87c
Message ID: <9310210024.AA06006@lux.YP.acad>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 17:32:39 PDT

Raw message

From: owen@autodesk.com (D. Owen Rowley)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 17:32:39 PDT
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Subject: Re: Paper Shredders

 > Stanton McCandlish says:
 > > > Does anyone know of an AFFORDABLE shredder that really destroys documents
 > > > by cutting them into confetti, rather than the easy-to-reassemble strips
 > > > that the typical shredder does?
 > >
 > > Yeah, it's called fire.

 > Fire is, of course, an optimal solution, and those of us who live or
 > work in a building with a fireplace or incinerator would do well to
 > use it. However, its hard to spend every day burning things, and
 > besides that, many of us live and work in urban areas where fireplaces
 > and other places you can burn large numbers of papers are rare. The
 > question is thus not out of place.

brings back ugly memorys of burn detail, back when I was stationed
at a SAC command and control post up in the mountains near Westover AFB.

Every scrap of paper that was discarded had to be incinerated, and
we rotated through a schedule that made sure everybody got their
chance to share the experience.

 > By the way, the standard method for destroying embassy documents in
 > case of siezure (not done during the Iran hostage crisis) is
 > reportedly Thermit grenades. (Thermit would likely reduce a filing
 > cabinet to slag in moments.)

Sounds to me like an enterprising pyro could have a nice little
operation, contracting with individuals to burn or blow up their
sealed bags of trash. I understand that Beavis and Butthead might
be looking for a new job, hey the little weinerheads might amount to
something after all!

:-)

LUX ./. owen

Thread