1993-10-17 - solving polynomials modulo P

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81310353833acc5f1512275d25b38b7d92edb63c0579447f49f6a1a374ed0879
Message ID: <9310170829.AA25652@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Oct 93 01:30:19 PDT

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 93 01:30:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: solving polynomials modulo P

Matthew J Ghio suggested an encryption scheme based on polynomials mod
P. I haven't looked at this too thoroughly yet, but a quick read seemed
to suggest that it relies on the intractability of solving polynomial
equations mod P. If so, realize that this is a very tractable problem
with efficient (polynomial time) algorithms given by e.g. Knuth. If
anyone wants more info I'll post the reference. It's in his sections on
computer arithmetic. The algorithm was discovered by a researcher at
Bell Labs as I recall; the name escapes me.

Thread