1993-10-02 - Re: PGP in FIDO

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: bobi@pets.sps.mot.com
Message Hash: 82aeb23dfad89cda83094c640ec857c06c11d421c070287a4a734a65b5c48408
Message ID: <199310022336.AA02791@eff.org>
Reply To: <9310022150.AA12197@vswr.sps.mot.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-02 23:38:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 16:38:50 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 16:38:50 PDT
To: bobi@pets.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: PGP in FIDO

In my opinion, few if any BBSs qualify as common carriers. Common carriers
hold themselves out as accepting all goods or passengers (or, in the case
of communications, all messages) indifferently. I know of no sysop who
operates under such a policy, or who would want to.

uunet, in contrast, probably does qualify as a common carrier.

My discussions of legal liability are not grounded in common-carrier law
(in which I'm not yet an expert) but in criminal law and tort law.

--Mike

Thread